From: "Sharon Bryant" <>
Subject: Was From 34/37 to 42/67
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 19:49:10 -0400

Okay. I started this thread but I think it is time to unravel some of the knots. I've read a lot of different suggestions - some direct and some not so direct - that leads me to believe that I should load up the shotgun and go hunting for bears (or forebears, take your pick).

In my projects we use genetic testing to do two different things:

1. Confirm paper trails and/or
2. Get a clue where we should be looking for a paper trail.

In this instance, there was no paper trail which would indicate these two men were related. On the other hand, a 34/37 match indicates that they might be. Each man took it upon himself to extend his testing to 67 markers.

In the first 37 markers the mismatches were as follows:

32862 58165
389-1 = 13 = 14
389-2 = 29 = 30
[Okay, no big deal]
458 = 16 = 17 (fast mover)
CDYa = 32 = 33 (another fast mover - no big deal)

425 = 12 = 14 (2)
594 = 11 =10 (1)
534 = 13 =15 (2)
450 = 9 = 8 (1)
444 = 13 = 11 (2)
481 = 25 = 21 (4)
520 = 20 = 24 (4)
446 = 10 = 16 (6)

I have not yet had time to request that FTDNA recheck these numbers. Is there anything special about any of these markers which would cause the great discrepancies between them?

I will do so but imagine that this will take some time to resolve.

Sharon

This thread: