From: "Dale E. Reddick" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] The Mystery of China's Celtic Mummies
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 13:50:25 -0400

Hi Folks,

I too have received this article via several lists to which I'm subscribed.

There is a problem with this article. It has some details -simply- wrong.

The two known dialects of the Tocharian language are not any variant of
any Celtic language. All are Indo-European languages, but Tocharian
isn't Celtic. The reporter who wrote this piece just didn't investigate
things deeply enough. Or, over-interpreted things or perhaps has some
sort of agenda. This is the sort of over-generalization that needs to
be avoided. It'll get folks who don't know any better coming to all
sorts of erroneous conclusions.

Dale E. Reddick

"The eastern Celts spoke a now-dead language called Tocharian, which is
related to Celtic languages and part of the Indo-European group. They
seem to have been a peaceful folk, as there are few weapons among the
Cherchen find and there is little evidence of a caste system."*/