Subject: Re: [GENEALOGY-DNA] [Genealogy-DNA] [DNA] The Mystery of China'sCeltic Mummies
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 21:22:05 EDT

Dienekes Pontikos wrote:

"There is zero evidence that the body attributed to St.
Luke had a Celtic or Germanic or Western European
background."
----------

Some of you are far too skeptic. I did not say that
statistical evidence means absolute proof.
Odds are just odds. And I think the odds are
in my favor for a Western European background for
the mitochodrial DNA of the Padua Body.

Historical references are not proof nor are artifacts
either. But if you put all the evidence together,
you can come up with a pretty interesting suggested
history of human migrations.

I happen to think humans did not just go from the east
to western Europe, but I think they were capable of
traveling all over a continent (or two) within a
few thousand years. And,they mated with each other
and left their footprints behind.

Mitochondrial mutations are rare and take a very long
time to occur. What are the chances of two mutations
occurring together in many people who live in the same
area of the World, and not sharing a common female
ancestor in the past few thousand years?
There may be some mutations that occur more often
than others, and cross over into different haplogroups,
but I don't think these particular mutations are
in that category.

All the Western Europeans who share the mutations
with Padua Body, having the 16235G and the 16291T
together also seem to be of the H2b subclade which
is thought to have started in Europe. This
observation was not addressed in the original
article; it is just my observation. I would like
scientists to take the tests on the Padua Body
(and other bodies) a step further. If the body
attributed to St. Luke did not have similar MtDNA
to European Helena MtDNA, then what other type of
MtDNA do you think it could be? And where did it
originate? If he had another origin,then let
us see the proof. It certainly looks like
his mother's mother's mother's ancestry
could have been European even if his body did
not appear European. I don't even know what race
this body looked like.

I am totally in favor of doing comprehensive
integrated studies by anthropologists, geneticists,
historians, paleontologists,genealogists etc.
to test some of these hypotheses.

This thread: