From: "Lawrence Mayka" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Celts descended from Spanish fishermen, study finds
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 11:12:50 -0500

> [mailto:] On Behalf Of
> Havelock Vetinari
> A team from Oxford University has discovered that the Celts,
> Britain's indigenous people, are descended from a tribe of
> Iberian fishermen who crossed the Bay of Biscay 6,000 years
> ago.

It's amazing that one can come to such a conclusion with certainty based on
7-10 STRs.

> The most common genetic fingerprint belongs to the Celtic
> clan, which Professor Sykes has called "Oisin".

So Professor Sykes has officially awarded the entire R1b haplogroup to the
Celts. Won't this annoy the Germanics and Italics?

> "This is significant, because the idea of a separate Celtic
> race is deeply ingrained in our political structure, and has
> historically been very divisive. Culturally, the view of a
> separate race holds water. But from a genetic point of view,
> Britain is emphatically not a divided nation."

These bizarre, vague, essentially meaningless socio-political comments
undermine the speaker's credibiliy substantially.

> Oisin
>
> Descended from Iberian fishermen who migrated to Britain
> between 4,000 and 5,000BC and now considered the UK's
> indigenous inhabitants.

This is apparently the entire R1b haplogroup, which Professor Sykes has
awarded to the Celts.

> Wodan
>
> Second most common clan arrived from Denmark during Viking
> invasions in the 9th century.

This is apparently I1a. I certainly hope Professor Sykes would not *dare*
to include I1b here.

> Sigurd
>
> Descended from Viking invaders who settled in the British
> Isles from AD 793. One of the most common clans in the
> Shetland Isles, and areas of north and west Scotland.

This is a British-centered view of R1a, of course. If Professor Sykes is
going to be awarding haplogroups to ancient language speakers, then clearly
the Slavs get R1a.

> Eshu
>
> The wave of Oisin immigration was joined by the Eshu clan,
> which has roots in Africa. Eshu descendants are primarily
> found in coastal areas.

E3b, I guess.

> Re
>
> A second wave of arrivals which came from the Middle East.
> The Re were farmers who spread westwards across Europe.

Presumably J.

> Roman
>
> Although the Romans ruled from AD 43 until 410, they left a
> tiny genetic footprint. For the first 200 years occupying
> forces were forbidden from marrying locally.

Uh, is this G? Professor Sykes is awarding haplogroup G to the Romans?

This thread: