From: "Steven Bird" <>
Subject: [DNA] Roman genetic footprints
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 14:54:52 -0400

Sorry, but what is the factual basis for this statement? (I think that you
must be quoting Sykes?) There were 5,500 Sarmatian cavalry ALONE, and that
was only ONE out of hundreds of alia and cohors stationed to the British
Isles over 300 years' time. Only 500 Sarmatians have been accounted for,
leaving 5,000 cavalry unaccounted. See www.roman-britain.org for detailed
lists of military units found in Britain during the Roman period. (No
individual names, sorry!)

Among Thracian and Dacian units alone, there were at least 20 "cohors" of
(nominally) 1,000 men each (really more like 800 typically). All would have
been E3b, since all of these units were recruited from the Balkans and the
Carpathians near and south of the lower Danube. Then there were all the
Pannonian and Spanish units, and of course there were just plain Roman
Legionnaires. They lived, died and retired there for three centuries.

There are military diplomata from the first and second centuries that detail
the retirements of dozens of units (for example the Malpas diploma found in
the British Museum, which lists 14 seperate units retiring simultaneously.
They AND their families and descendants were granted citizenship and land
upon retirement. Many of the men had "local" wives. Even if their wives
were from their own lands of origin, they would have remained and raised
their families in Britain. Their descendants would have lived on in Britain
too. See the grave marker of Longinus Sdapeze (stating that "his heirs had
this done") now in the Colchester Museum. Clearly, he had descendants.

There is ample archaelogical evidence to show that the Roman British lived
alongside the Anglo-Saxons in some parts of Britain (for example, Saffron
Walden, Essex) until the 7th century, well after the A-S invasion. The
Roman villas were INTACT at this late date. So they weren't necessarily
killed or driven out by the invaders. Sometimes, they just blended in.

> >> Uh, is this G? Professor Sykes is awarding haplogroup G to the
> >> Romans?

Probably the Sarmatians, who were haplogroup G (they were from the region
corresponding to the modern Republic of Georgia).

Steve

This thread: