From: "Steven Bird" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Roman genetic footprints
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 18:04:38 -0400

Not at all. Sarmatians were from a part of the world (Black Sea region)
that made their movement to the British isles, shall we say, more unlikely
than if they lived in France. Since they are haplogroup G, then that
haplogroup's appearance in a family found there prior to 1600 might have
originated with these cavalry.

Cassius Dio (Historiarum Romanorum quae Supersunt LXXI.xvi.2) records that
5,500 Sarmatian cavalry were posted to Britain under the terms of the treaty
of AD175 with Sarmatia. If you want the real story of the Sarmatians, go
to:

http://www.roman-britain.org/military/alaisar.htm

Please don't conflate real history with imagined history, no matter what the
"source."

SCB