From: "Steven Bird" <>
Subject: [DNA] E3b and redheads
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 19:11:44 -0400

Steve

>So the next time you have a red-headed E3b in your surname project, you
>might surmise their ancestors were from Northern Africa. Our Stephens
>project has 7 E3b's; and, 6 of them with matches.

Not from North Africa, at least not recently. Red-headed and blond
Thracians were found in the Balkans at least since the 7th millenium B.C.
(Webber, "The Thracians.") They were descended from the E3b*
(undifferientieated M35) cluster, but the Balkan alpha cluster (M78 plus
V13) appears to represent a distinct branch of E3b. According to Cruciani
the V13 mutation is found ONLY in the Balkans (with the exception of two
singletons that were found in the gamma cluster outside of the Balkans.)

Berbers are from the Beta cluster of E3b. They are indeed found primarily
in Northern Africa, according to Cruciani et al, 2004 and 2006. But they
are not alpha cluster red-heads.

This thread: