GENEALOGY-DNA-L Archives

Archiver > GENEALOGY-DNA > 2006-09 > 1159033139-01

From: "Steven Bird" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] E3b and redheads
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 13:38:59 -0400

Cruciani has said that E3b1a2 = a Balkan origin. This is now, with his
latest paper, approaching proof.

Various archaeologists (Hoddinott, Webber) have said that the early
historical inhabitants of the
Balkans were the Thracians (7th millenium B.C. to about 350 A.D.).
Therefore, many if not most of the E3b1a2 inhabitants of the Balkans were
Thracians, as I have previously defined this group of people. I see no
conflict in this observation.

Herodotus (who was Greek of course) said Thracian warriors were large,
powerfully built men, had red or blonde hair, grey or blue eyes, "delicate
white" skin and a tendency to "put on flesh." That is the description to
which I referred. How accurate that description was; who knows?

I have stated that some of the redheads in Britain are possibly descendants
of Thracian soldiers and have tested as E3b1a2. Not all of the redheads are
Viking, and not all of the Thracians were redheads.

SCB