From: "Dora Smith" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] E3b and redheads
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 09:45:24 -0500

Original Balkans weren't Indo-Europeans, that was one of the refuges of the
peoples of Europe during the last ice age! They'd have mixed it up with
Indo-Europeans on their way northward.

Though I suppose it would be interesting to look at the notion that some
subset of the people who sheltered in the Balkans during the ice age
eventually sprouted the trait for blonde hair. If trait evolved around
2000 BC, since it certainly didn't begin to diffuse across Europe and the
southern Asian steppes earlier than that, it could have happened in
descendants of people who were in the Balkans or the Ukraine area during the
ice age as easily as the trait could have developed on the steppes north of
hte black sea among people of Middle Eastern or Asiatic descent.

Some weak correlation between haplogroup and blonde hair could well survive.
It would be interesting to look at it!

I'd really expect to find a clearer trail for blonde hair than for red hair.

There could also be two sorts of blonde hair, and two paths of evolution and
migration of this trait. Surely you've noticed that the Slavs tend to have
a less red, less golden, generally less colorful sort of blonde hair than
other western Indo-European peoples. The Slavs and Balts have a common
prehistory; I believe older than that of most western Indo-European groups.
To judge from their language, which either split from the other
Indo-European groups just after the Indo-Aryan groups did, or was
geographically located closer to the Indo-Aryan groups than the other
Indo-European groups.

Yours,
Dora Smith
Austin, TX