From: "Lawrence Mayka" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Celts descended from Spanish fishermen, study finds
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 21:43:19 -0500

> [mailto:] On Behalf Of
> Peter A. Kincaid
> The native population was not wiped out by Americans.

Yes they were, in percentage terms. Going from 100% to 1% is effectively a
wipeout.

> People adopt
> languages, fashions, and technology from all over. We are
> not static people. We bring in new for its advantages or to
> emulate a people who are seen as more advanced or powerful.

Throughout history the general practice, I think, has just as often been the
opposite. The elite may not *want* the oppressed majority to learn their
language, except in a passive sense to accept commands. The elite often
like to treat their language as a *badge* of their own elevated status.

This thread: