From: "Lawrence Mayka" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Roman genetic footprints
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 08:39:38 -0500

> [mailto:] On Behalf Of Steven Bird
> It is equally likely that DMAVZ's ancestry got to the Czech
> republic from
> the Black Sea/Carpatho-Danubian region, which is not that far
> away. Enter
> "Vlachs" in Google for the story of that diaspora.

OK, I think I understand your hypothesis now. You are suggesting that:

1) Dacians recruited by the Roman Empire to serve in England might have been
loosely referred to as Sarmatians. These would *not* have been genetically
close to the 'classic' Iranian-speaking Sarmatians from whom the Alans (and
eventually modern Alania) descend.

2) After the fall of the Roman Empire, Dacians dispersed somewhat throughout
southeastern and central-eastern Europe, and were then referred to as
Vlachs.

3) DMAVZ and his related Englishmen (including ZENKY) are all of ancient
Dacian ancestry, referred to as either Sarmatian or Vlach depending on the
location of resettlement.

You can see the possibility for confusion. Dacian expatriates (whether
referred to as Sarmatians or Vlachs) are more likely to be I1b, J2, R1a,
R1b, or possibly E3b. Alans (whether referred to as Sarmatians or not) are
more likely to be G or J2.

This thread: