From: "Peter A. Kincaid" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Celts descended from Spanish fishermen, study finds
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 19:13:17 -0300

----- Original Message -----
From: "ellen Levy" <>
To: <>
Sent: Monday, September 25, 2006 5:08 PM

> Peter:
>
> What argument are you making exactly? That R1b
> entered Europe during the early or middle Neolithic
> period as opposed to the late Neolithic or early
> Bronze Age? Or that it was present during the late
> Mesolithic?

I knew you were itching for a good post ;-)

I am not sure what you have issue with me about.
A theory was stated that R1b from the Black Sea area
replaced the indigenous population of western Europe
in the late Neolithic to early Bronze Age. I commented
that this would be an uphill battle to prove and noted
reasons why I thought this and lately cited credible
proponents of a continuity of settlement from the
Paleolithic. You then note that you are an advocate of
not stating a theory as fact. This is fine but we do use
math even though it is based on a number of axioms.
Regardless, why did you then cite people who held
a different view and give quotes in which they state
something to be a fact when you just stated it is still
theory?

> In terms of addressing your remark concerning Upper
> Paleolithic archaeological remains, there is
> absolutely no evidence linking any Y chromosome
> haplogroups with any of the remains you mention.

A dominant haplogroup in an area is actually Y chromosome
evidence for it representing most remains found in the area.
Thus, how can you say there is "absolutely no evidence."
In the end other evidence may clearly tip the scale
in favour of an opposing theory. However, in the
meantime it is certainly better evidence than a phantom
haplogroup.

Anyway getting back to the DNA at hand we may
find more evidence for one way or the other.

Best wishes!

Peter

This thread: