From: "Lawrence Mayka" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Celts descended from Spanish fishermen, study finds
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 19:28:06 -0500

Balts
> were N3 almost exclusively before the Slavic expansion out of
> the Pripet marshes.

I knew someone would misunderstand me! I should have been more explicit.

Terms like 'Slav', 'Balt', and 'Celt' are fundamentally linguistic terms,
referring to language speakers. Thus, Balts speak languages in the Baltic
family, a branch of Indo-European which split apart from Slavic long after
Italic, Celtic, and Germanic had left the 'nest'. I see every reason to
think that the Balts, like the Slavs, were originally almost exclusively
R1a.

When the Balts arrived on the eastern coast of the Baltic Sea, however, they
met Finnic peoples speaking Finnic languages. These peoples were probably
mostly of haplogroup N. By whatever means, the Baltic (i.e., Indo-European)
languages won out in modern-day Lithuania and Latvia, though Livonian is
still reportedly spoken fluently by about 10 people:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Livonian_language

In modern-day Lithuania and Latvia, R1a and N are roughly even at about 40%.

This thread: