From: "Dora Smith" <>
Subject: [DNA] Marin Boucher's Perche, France Y DNA, Acadians,and Spanish Jews - and also if E3b-15 is I1b
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 20:05:25 -0500

Anyone tell me what to make of this snippet on the origins of Cajuns, from a
discussion of the E3b #15 Y DNA haplogroup, from
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~gallgaedhil/haplo_e3b.htm

--------------------
E3b Haplotype # 15 (Y Chromosome DNA)

The haplotype below is probably associated with Jewish populations. The
European matches appear in The Rhineland,

Poland and eastern Germany, all areas of known Jewish settlement. We might
even go so far as to speculate that the

match in Louisiana is with a Franco-American of partially Sephardic descent,
as the ancestors of the Cajuns came from

parts of France where many Sephardim had emigrated before and after The
Spanish Inquisition.

--------------

This happens to be the haplogroup of four descendants of Marin Boucher, an
emigrant to New France born 1589 in Perche, a member of a large family that
lived there and went to Canada. Perche is an area of forest and farmland
on the southeastern boundary of Normandy, southwest of Paris. One of the
brief histories of the area on the web says that it was settled during the
population explosion during the medieval warming period. The Boucher's
were quite well off peasants, trained as carpenters and such. Like many
of the Percheron emigration, they were able to transport their entire
families to New France along with household belongings.

It is an exact match - though I am still interested in why one of the two
charts on the French DNA project labels it I1b

19 389i 389ii 390 391 392 393 385a 385b
13 13 31 25 10 11 13 16 18

First I heard about Sephardic Jews heading to Brittany around the time of
teh Spanish Inquisition. And the other area the Cajuns are thought to come
from is eastern Poitou or Angoumois - western south-central France, east of
La Rochelle.

I thought they'd headed to the Spanish Netherlands, where somehow the
thumbscrews of teh Inquisition were looser, and that set of histortical
factors ultimately helped give Protestantism its start. I could find
absolutely no evidence that Spanish Jews nor Spanish Moors headed to
northwestern France, and I was looking hard for such evidence. Remember,
this investigation started as an effort to learn why my mother in law, who
is entirely French Canadian with a single known early 17th centuryIndian
ancestor and a single known 16th century Jewish ancestor, has olive skin and
black hair. Taht was the first thing I thought of.

Historical maps show clearly that Brittany and Normandy never were part of
the Spanish Netherlands, nor were they Hapsburg territory. I actually
bought four new historical atlases in the process of figuring that out.

It would certainly help explain Mediterranean looks in some of the
population there, but I'd decided that 80% ice-age Spanish genetic markers
was enough explanation.

Jewish markers are often Mediterranean markers that got picked up and
carried by Jews, and that is teh case of many of the E3b haplogroups.

Yours,
Dora Smith
Austin, TX

--