From: Alan R <>
Subject: [DNA] Ellen's paper
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2006 18:54:12 +0000 (GMT)

A very interesting and insightful read indeed and it
would be fascinating to know more about the selective
processes. A test of the hypothesis would be whether
countries with similar environments/ dietary histories
feature similar mtDNA haplogroup proportions today.
Although the issue is confused as diet fluctuated
greatly throughout any country's history, there are
places that had big parts of their history associated
with a particular diet e.g Switzerland, Finland,
Greece. An example of something that could have had a
radical affect in killing off lineages would be
intolerance of dairy products. Conventionally,
dairying is believed to have not been part of the
original Neolithic economy and was part of a secondary
products revolution that began several thousand years
later later in the south Russia (I think-my memory of
lectures on this is a bit hazy!) and soon spread into
the rest of Europe c. 3000-2500BC. Some have linked
it with the spread of the Indo-European, horses and
wheeled vehicles(Kurgan hypothesis).

Alan

This thread: