From: David Faux <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] 49 S21 haplotypes on ysearch
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 12:02:22 -0800 (PST)

This would seem on the surface to make sense Rick - but S21 is bimodal.

There is the classic DYS390 = 23, DYS391 = 11 etc. which is probably a younger clade within the much older and more diverse S21 substrate. In other words there are those who are DYS390 = 24 and DYS391 = 10 who are S21 and we have found some who are WHAM (one from my Shetland Project who is likely of Norse descent) who are S21. Any modals must reflect the reality that this marker, and perhaps others, are bimodal. I am surprised that M222 appears to have one strong modal period - likely reflecting its relative youth or a severe bottleneck.

David Faux.

Rick Arnold <> wrote: I'd be surprised if nobody has computed the R1b1c9 modal Ht yet. That would seem to be the best base Ht for such GD comparisons.

Michael Maddi wrote:
snip....
I have the genetic distance calculations for the 49
with me as the standard. For those who want to
calculate GDs from some S21+ haplotype less oddball
than mine, here are the 49 ysearch IDs. Just put
whichever ID you want to be the standard as the first
ID.
snip.....

This thread: