From: "Dora Smith" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Ellen's Paper
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 19:52:24 -0600

Maybe the lack of argument with the paper is because people see it as more
of a response to recent arguments about Europeans' genetic origins than
anything else.

What is striking me about the paper is that her conclusions that modern
European DNA is not representative of ancient European DNA is based on the
examination of the DNA of an extremely small number of ancient people. For
instance, 24 people from central Europe, and possibly only 15 people from
the Basque region of Spain.

Moreover, most of the burial sites she talks about are neolithic, and would
not be expected to tell us about the paleolithic population.

Yours,
Dora Smith
Austin, TX