From: "wim callewaert" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] age estimations (TMRCA and ASD)
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 09:51:03 +0100

Steven,

Since you have a proven line to a MRCA that was born in 1595 (11 generations
ago), you could put an exact generation age in the tool (about 35 years).
The default generation age in the tool is 30 years but you can easily change
it. The result would still be an underestimation (but I'm not surprised with
a genetic distance of only 1).
The mutation rates used in the TMRCA-calculator are simply based upon the
range of STR-outcomes in each marker which I found on the net and in
databases. The bigger the range, the higher the mutation rate (the average
rate however I set on 0.0020, but can also be changed).
The mutation rates in each marker could be different in different
haplogroups, so I made an overall 37 markers page and also some haplogroup
pages in the tool. Did you try the E3b-page?

Wim