From: "Steven Bird" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Ellen's paper; question for Alan R
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 07:49:27 -0500

Alan,

Thank you for a marvelous essay and explanation. I, for one, appreciate the
expertise that you bring to the list.

If you can respond to the following query, it would be appreciated. You
wrote:

For example, the earliest domestic pottery in
>Ireland is identical to that from northern England and
>flint technology is also extremely similar. Arguably
>slightly later 'court tombs; have many specific
>features in common with similar tombs throughout
>Britain including not just other megaliths but also
>earthen long barrows in SE England. The similarity
>throughout the British Isles in the early-mid
>Neolithic is striking. LBK and derived cultures are
>thought the more likely sources for the Neolithic of
>the British Isles as a whole but the very quick
>development of insularity has make Neolithic origins
>rather hazy.

The two types of artifacts closely associated with the spread of E3b and J2
during the Neolithic appear to be "painted pottery" and a type of
"anthropomorphic figurine" (female figure in clay) described by King and
Underhill in their landmark 2002 study, entitled "Congruent distribution of
Neolithic painted pottery and ceramic figurines with Y-chromosome lineages."
Examining the map figure provide by the authors, mnither of these
artifacts spread anywhere near Britain. These same items were described by
Hoddinott in his 1981 book on Balkan archaeological finds entitled, "The
Thracians."

Here is a link to the study:

http://hpgl.stanford.edu/publications/A_2002_v76_p707-714.pdf

Would you associate these artifacts with LBK, or not?

Thanks in advance,

Steve Bird

Visit MSN Holiday Challenge for your chance to win up to $50,000 in Holiday
cash from MSN today!
http://www.msnholidaychallenge.com/index.aspx?ocid=tagline&locale=en-us

This thread: