From: "Sean Silver" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Is there such thing as Jewish DNA?
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 01:23:17 -0500

I don't have the data right in front of me, but to my knowledge Ashkenazim
have the same percentage of J and R1b (10%, off the top of my head) as
Sephardim and other Jews. Also, it is why the Cohane Modal Haplotype was so
significant, because there was the same ratio of CMH in Sephardic,
Ashkenazi, Asian Jews, etc, with a common ancestor within 3,000 years,
around the time of a biblical Aaron. Such findings have shown that Jewish
admixture has been far more isolated than presumed.

Especially after the Diaspora, Jews have long been isolated in the various
communities in Europe. They were considered communities unto themselves and
throughout most of the Middle Ages, were governed locally by their own laws
and customs. By then, intermarriage was considered a grievous sin in
Judaism. Furthermore, prior to the Inquisition, the majority of Jews lived
in Spain... and afterwards many Sephardim migrated to the New World and
Eastward. This would likely account for the Jewiwsh R1b presence I've found
in my own project. I'll also note that I've strict standards for my project,
noting that participants must have an uninterrupted Jewish lineage without
knowledge of any conversion.

As far as the Middle East, I'm including the Anatolian peninsula on down to
Egypt, and as far east as Iran. In my own R1b study, very few of the 60+
members have any matches in Western Europe outside of Spain and Portugal
beyond Y12. Also, roughly half have been found to have a distinctive DYS
393=12 marker, 11 of which have an oral tradition of being Kohanim. The
Kohanim can also be sorted into two distinctive groups which seem to date
back at least a thousand years, if a recent common ancestor percentage is
taken into account, with the two groups seemingly having a common ancestor
within 3,000 years.

Furthermore, studies have also shown that where J and this Eastern R1b (DYS
393=12, re: Cinnioglu et. Al.) have the greatest genetic diversity, Western
R1b has its least. The opposite is also true.

> See there go my eyebrows again. <Drats>

> I would be very careful about swapping Ashkenazi Jews and All Jews in an
> argument. Pre-Diaspora and post Diaspora are loaded time frames and yes
> the 'Middle East' is a geographically imprecise description. Could we
> decide on terminology before we settle in to debate?:-)

> --
> Regards,
> Rebekah
>

> "And they wonder why the maples
> Can't be happy in their shade." Trees (Neil Peart from Rush)

This thread: