Subject: Re: [DNA] Is there such thing as Jewish DNA?
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 01:32:10 EST

I am a Johnny-come-lately to Jewish research, but in the last couple of
years I have been trying to learn more about my Jewish Goldsholl line.
Establishing a paper trail back to my Jewish ancestors in Ukraine and Belarus has been
much more difficult than researching my English ancestors in Shropshire, as
I realized very quickly when I started looking for information about my
Jewish family. I did find the names of over 20 of my cousins who were murdered in
their villages during the Holocaust, plus some others who died previously in
a pogrom, but that is all comparatively recent information.

Two of my newfound Goldsholl cousins did Y-DNA testing at my request. They
are both J2 and at 25 markers their 24/25 matches in the FTDNA database are
with a Rosen, a Levy, a Hersov, an Adler, and with each other. I believe
these are all considered "Jewish" surnames. Note that I am not qualified to get
into a debate about what is Jewish. I asked a Jewish cousin about it but I
am still unclear on the concept, not having been raised as a Jew. Mostly I go
by the Y-DNA.

In ySearch the Goldsholl entry is QZVSC. Note that one of my Goldsholl
cousins (only one gave permission to enter his results) has an "extra" value at
464e.

Interestingly, there is also a Coblentz who matches 23/25 with the Goldsholl
in ySearch. Coblentz gives his origin as France. Either this is western
J2, as opposed to eastern J2, or else this is one more thing I do not
understand.

Again, I do not know enough about all this to enter into debate, but perhaps
others will find it interesting.

Eleanor Gordon
with cousins in the Everall, Renshaw, Ford, and Goldsholl projects

This thread: