From: "Sean Silver" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Is there such thing as Jewish DNA?
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 01:33:27 -0500

(Kindly disregard my previous post, which included the entire spam of the
day's digest!)

Ellen stated:

> As an analogy, it was once suggested to me that the formation of the
> Ashkenazi community can be viewed as a bus. As for the people who got on
> the bus, where they came from originally and when they got on the bus
> should not matter. But I'm suggesting that it does matter. It seems to
> matter a lot.

However, the predominant haplogroup of Western Europe is R1b, while R1a is
far more common in Eastern Europe than R1b. Roughly only 10% of Ashkenazim
and Sephardim are R1b, and at least through my study very few have
demonstrated a match to the Western Modal Haplotype. Rather, per Cinnioglu
and other studies, the Eastern R1b (as I stated, roughly half of my project)
have their greatest genetic variance centered in Eastern Anatolia (modern
day Turkey), where I note Abraham was said to have traveled when he had his
religious Epiphany.

This thread: