From: David Faux <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Ellen's Paper
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 12:47:12 -0800 (PST)

Sasson:

I am far to lazy to look but the two obvious R1a haplotypes in the necropolis percentage wise would be about the same frequency as that found in that region of Mongolia today. R1a actually predominates in parts of Mongolia, and is rare in others - there being significant regional diversity. Someone with more time or inclination can locate Eygen Gol on a map and look for the nearest location where modern sampling has taken place. There will be replacement to some degree largely because of the Genghis Khan factor relating to the Middle Ages. I would venture to say that there was scant haplogroup C in many areas of Mongolia, Northern China and Siberia until the Golden Hoarde blasted on to history's stage and changed the percentages of R1a and Q etc. in the emergent population of the some parts of the region. Indeed there are exceptions to the continuity of which I was speaking - but I was only speaking about continuity in Western Europe and events that may have occured
in prehistoric times with particular reference to the Basque population.

David.

Sasson Margaliot <> wrote:
On 12/13/06, David Faux wrote:

> It is important to have differing views presented
> as a friendly respectful dialogue.

> We can already identify samples in a 2000 year Mongolian necropolis
> as having "classic" R1a haplotypes.

Finding R1a in Mongolia, the area where today R1a is almost absent,
clearly shows that indeed the process of population replacement may be
quite fast.

So it coud be the case in Europe too.

> With history, unless a new source comes to light,
> we can simply argue back and forth about
> what Herodotus or other classical author really meant
> in for example describing the Hyperboreans.

It would be a Hyper-Boring subject.

This thread: