From: (John Chandler)
Subject: Re: [DNA] Ellen's Paper
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 16:17:43 -0500 (EST)

I wrote:
> So far, Ellen's response has not dealt with
> David's assertion, unless her comment about "N1a" being found in the
> aDNA samples should be taken as a refutation, and not a confirmation,
> of the predicted appearance of "N1".

Just now, I saw a message from Ellen written about the same time as
the above, in which she clarifies and states that no N1 has been seen
in the Basque-country aDNA samples. However, I have also seen a
message from David stating that post-mortem damage to V produces N1a
specifically, not just N1. On the other hand, Ellen has stated that
"the researchers" have used coding-region tests to verify the
haplogroup assignments, but the only evidence she presented for this
statement was a quote from an Etruscan -- not a Basque -- study. The
Etruscan issue is entirely different from the Basque (an ancient group
that may or may not have been a thin elite and may or may not have
been exterminated vs a continuous group that may or may not exhibit
genetic continuity).

I'd still like to see more on what damaged V should look like now and
what measures, if any, the Basque studies took to assign damaged-aDNA
haplogroups correctly.

John Chandler

This thread: