From: Doug McDonald <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] R1a in Mongolia
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 16:52:39 -0600

Eric Olson wrote:
> Haplogroup R1a is hardly a "little" Haplogroup. In fact it can be
> projected to have a greater presence in the world than R1b.

> Consider Poland, Ukraine and India, with a combined population of about 1
> billion, or nearly 17% of the world's population. Here R1a is projected to
> be about 67% of the male population, or roughly 670 million individuals.

Where do you get those numbers? R1a is nowhere near 67% in
India, though it is indeed the largest haplogroup among the
non-tribal people.

Remember that the third most populous country, the US, has
R1b dominant over R1a. Indonesia has zip of either. Brazil
probably is even more R1b dominant than the US, with of
course lots more Q (though Q is by now probably 4 percent or
so in the US) than here. Bangladesh is probably low in R1a
and even lower in R1b. Then we hit Pakistan, the very center
of the R1a world at present. You really need to add up
numbers carefully.

Doug McDonald

This thread: