From: ellen Levy <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Aryan, Arian, Arianism....
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 14:27:04 -0800 (PST)

Cheryl:

Just a clarification. I realize you are using "Aryan"
and "Iranian" synonymously, but in reality, there
isn't any "Aryan" group. There is an Indo-Aryan group
of languages (which I believe to be synonymous with
Indic). Its closest relative is Indo-Iranian. Where
and when the Indo-Iranian and Indo-Aryan languages
shared a common ancestor is a topic I'm not well
versed in, but is discussed in Mallory's book.

It is an extremely tricky thing, tying in the origins
and migrations of a haplogroup with a linguistic
grouping. Certainly if the Anatolia=homeland of IE
theory is correct (and I'm not arguing it is), then it
becomes more difficult to tie together the origins of
IE with the movement of R1a, unless one argues the R1a
originated and migrated out of Anatolia in conjunction
with the IE languages.

Certainly the linguistic evidence suggests that the IE
homeland was around the Black Sea (though north or
south or even west remains hotly debated), though if
you subscribe to a more Central Asian point of origin,
then perhaps between the Black and Caspian Seas.

Mallory remains an excellent source to reference
concerning the possible homelands of proto-IE, though
he clearly favors a Russian steppe location (which
leaves open the possibility of linking IE with
haplogroup R1a, which may have developed in this
region of the world, or may have settled in the steppe
region during the development of IE.

Ellen Coffman