From: "Ken Nordtvedt" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Indo-European (was, Aryan)
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 21:06:37 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lawrence Mayka" <>

> The split between Balto-Slavic and Celtic-Italo-Germanic is dated by
> Atkinson and Gray at 6500 YBP (4500 BCE). The split between Celtic and
> Italo-Germanic is dated at 6100 YBP (4100 BCE), and the split between
> Italic
> and Germanic is dated at 5500 YBP (3500 BCE).

If that is the order of the linquistic splits, is there not something
unusual? Celtic is said to have split from Italo-Germanic before the
latter two split according to Atkinson and Gray? Yet geographically the
Celts of Central Europe end up BETWEEN the Italics and Germanics. Looks
like there was splitting in one place and movements to other places? I am
sure people can come up with scenarios, but it struck me odd. And those
three dates for the splits are quite close together; throw in the confidence
intervals and what is really being said? But sometimes these trees can be
more confident of the time ordering of the splits than they can be about the
actual time intervals between the splits.

Is the order of splits as indicated above firmly accepted by linquists as
well as these tree makers?

Ken

This thread: