From: John Cartmell <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Any study on Mexico Y-dna? are they mostly Europeanor Indian?
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 08:44:47 +0000 (GMT)

On 18 Dec, John Chandler <> wrote:
> > I wish you lot wouldn't call your country the same as the continent. ;-((

> Sorry, but there isn't any continent called America. We actually have
> two continents in the Western Hemisphere, known respectively as North
> America and South America, each of which is about twice the size of
> Europe.

That does seem to be typical of USA education and is a comparatively recent
idea. Elsewhere children are taught that the continents are:

Africa
Asia
Australasia
Europe
America
Antarctica

with much made of the fact that all start and end with A apart from Europe
that starts and ends with E.

Had the names been allocated after we had understood plate tectonics then it
might well have been different but, as it is, it's based on a naming
convention and you have highlighted a different version.

--
John 006 8822 or 0161 969 9820
Qercus magazineFAX +44 (0)8700-519-527www.finnybank.com