From: David Faux <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Iberomaurusian Y-DNA and Scandinavian Phenotypes
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2006 10:30:21 -0800 (PST)

Ricardo:

Although I think you have made some very interesting connections in relation to haplogroup J, I will let people such as Bonnie, whose expertise in that haplogroup is well known, reply to your primary question. However your post made me think of a website purporting to link Cro-Magnon types known from archaeological finds, with modern Scandinavian phenotypes. There are others such as a Celtic and Balto type purportedly reflecting subsequent migrations. This link was sent to me by a Finnish academic colleague and I don't think it contains any racist twist - I did not check out every page but Carleton Coon's pictures (yes, this has been used for racist purposes) comparing say a man from Ipswich England (an area with well documented Danish contacts), with ones from various parts of Scandinavia, are instructive. One of my Swedish contacts maintains that the men from his region (many of whom are haplogroup G2) can be recognized as Herules (the mysterious but well documented
Scandinavian group who left Denmark to move to the Black Sea and later returned to Sweden) by their physical features (particularly large boned and tall stature). I don't know, and always am somewhat leary of this area of study due to its potential for misuse, but know that at the core there may be something of merit as is any topic based on careful observation (the core of science). Anyway, see what you think of the categorizations on this site: http://www.snpa.nordish.net/rg-main.htm If it is a cleverly disguised racist site it got by my filters. One of the men from Ipswich looks hauntingly like my Dad at that age (his ancestors being from that area).

David Faux.

Ricardo Costa de Oliveira <> wrote:
A Hypothesis

Iberomaurusian (or Iberomarusian) was a late Paleolithic culture present in the Iberian Peninsula and Mahgreb, North Africa from 20.000 to 7.500 BC (Cavalli-Sforza, Menozzi, and Piazza 1994).They were considered Cro-Magnon and Caucasoid types. Old archaelogical evidences of connections between the Levante and Mahgreb-Iberian spaces can be found in many others items, like blades and snails ! So the movement was from east to west, from North Africa to Iberia (not like Ferembach, 1985).
<snipped>

This thread: