From: Cheryl Simani <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Iberomaurusian Y-DNA Haplogroup J ?
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 05:19:33 -0800 (PST)

Sasson,

From the conquest of Sumer by the Akkadians in about 2400 BCE, Semitic languages dominated the Middle East. By 1000 BCE, the Assyrians were gaining strength and by 743 Tiglath-Pileser III ruled in Babylon. From that point Aramaic became the international language of the region. The Talmud was written in mostly in Aramaic and supplemented with Hebrew. Various dialectics of Aramaic are still spoken by Kurds today. My husband's family spoke Aramaic in the home.

Have a wonderful New Year!

Sasson Margaliot <> wrote:

"Iberomaurusian" culture is antediluvian, so it is not likely to be
either "E3b" or "J1".

If there is a branch of ancient J1 in Iberia, it could be an original,
pre-Indo-European population of Iberia.

It is even possible that the *Basque* language was introduced into
Iberia by this branch of J1 .

More generally, which of languages spoken, say, 1000 years BCE, were
associated with J2, J1, and E3b? Do J1 languages include Sumerian?

> What about archeological evidence of Iron Age (Dark Age-Archaic Period)
> through Early Hellenistic times for exploration, trade and colonization of Spain
> by the Phoenicians, Israelites, and Greeks?

Are the "Phoenicians" even approximately identified genetically ???

Sasson