Subject: Re: [DNA] A query: why are dinucleotide Y STRs not used?
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 22:03:47 -0800

For cluster analysis, more is better. Haplotypes of 80+ STRs make it
pretty easy to spot trends. Our "amateur" databases of extended
haplotypes are now making possible what would have been entirely
impossible for academic studies to fund just a few years ago. Even
now, most academic population studies depend on minimal haplotypes. Pat

> For genealogical applications, it's probably easy enough to call
> the alleles
> in clean samples,but the mutation rate might be lower than optimal. Of
> course, the flip side is that more stable markers are helpful for
> deep ancestry
> questions, so it might be worth developing more dinucleotide markers.

This thread: