Subject: Re: [DNA] Autosomal Markers Panel 1
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 09:12:11 EDT

In a message dated 4/7/2007 9:31:16 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
writes:

> Sue,
> Thank you for sending me your results. I started typing them in and I
> realized the numbers looked familiar!! I checked with my own markers and
> we have the same values on 13 out of 30 markers (43.3%). This is just as
> good of a match with myself as I have with my paternal uncle (43.3%)!
> Ok, what is going on here? Are these autosomal results crazy or what?
> I'm at a loss now, what to think. Ann, sorry, help please (have I goofed
> somehow).

I verified your count. This degree of matching still seems strange to me, but
it's a good object lesson. It also highlights the difficulties that could
arise with "familial matching" of markers in the CODIS databases, and it explains
the reason that some adoption registries won't report potential sibling
matches. There's definitely a chance of false positives.

Ann Turner

See what's free at
http://www.aol.com.

This thread: