From: "Eric Olson" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Allele length was Different Subject
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 12:52:55 -0700

Yes, I think so.

It had to do with allele lengths seeming to favor some equilibrium length
of about 20 repeats, seemingly Haplogroup independant, and possible
mechanisms of such a phenomenon. I suggested looking at some classical
physical chemistry involving molecular energy of states.

Why were these particular alleles chosen for analysis? (Were they chosen
because they did fall within an easily countable range? Is this an
artifact of ascertainment bias?)

"Spring constant" and "thermal noise" were mentioned; as were matrix
descriptions of quantum chemical states. Someone envisioned blowing sand
piling up against a wall or dune. To me it seems like trying to describe a
problem of a tattered flag in a brisk wind. Intuitively it seems to me the
longest tatters would stand the greater chance of being ripped from the
flag altogether, while shorter tatters were always forming and lengthening.

What factors determine the mean length of a population of such tatters?

Eric Olson

This thread: