From: "E. Peltosalo" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] The Basques and Scholarship
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 05:07:21 -0400

Hi.

My previous email, , was somehow hacked, probably by one
of those kids who thinks I'm some kind of racist.

Some facts:

Faltsala is the Swedish equivalent of my so-called Finnish surname,
Peltosalo. That, if you're interested, is actually not Uralic at all, but
instead derives from two Proto-Indo-European elements *Pel-(tu > to),
meaning *field* (Swedish fält) and *Sel-(a) > Salo, originally meaning
*dwelling
place* (Swedish *sal* = *hall*) but now meaning Finnish *woods. *These
elements come into Finnish from* *Proto-Germanic and Proto-Baltic,
respectively. Happy?

Further, my actual surname, which was partially replaced by Peltosalo for
political purposes, during the period of Finnish nationalism, is Bokström,
meaning Beech Stream. I am thus what some call Finland Swedish.

On to the Basques -

I'm very glad that some here have been willing to consider other
explanations. That the Basques do in fact qualify as matrilineal and/or
matrilocal I have not yet had the chance to verify (just try a web search,
and prepare for a headache), but if it turns out to be in any way true, then
we've got something of great importance. To me, so far, they've only been a
linguistic entity which I've barely paid any attention to, and my small
training in physical anthropology hasn't given me anything more than their
average phenotype (dinaricized Mediterranoid).

In fact, it was one of your more adventurous members who invited me here,
though he is in no way responsible for my innovative flyting scheme.

But I'm extremely disappointed with what else I've seen and not seen. The
dismissiveness and evasiveness I've encountered are of the particular kind
associated with those who really don't know what they're talking about
beyond their own data, and know it, which they care to hide. Otherwise, I
would have gotten some passingly educated response to Gamkredlidze &
Ivanov's model.

Instead, I got nothing, which you can be sure that I will report frequently.
Most of you have probably never even seen a linguistic study.

Here's what'll probably be your first, and it happens to focus on something
we've talked about! (Though, if you got nowhere with G&I, then I wouldn't
even bother opening this.) -

http://img148.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=40320_Scan10001_122_562lo.JPG
http://img173.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=40325_Scan10002_122_388lo.JPG
http://img129.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=40326_Scan10003_122_363lo.JPG
http://img14.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=40332_Scan10004_122_674lo.JPG
http://img134.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=40337_Scan10005_122_392lo.JPG
http://img134.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=40342_Scan10006_122_451lo.JPG
http://img165.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=40347_Scan10007_122_358lo.JPG
http://img124.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=40352_Scan10008_122_570lo.JPG

Lehmann, Winfred P. (1997) 'Early Celtic among the Indo-European Dialects'.
*Zeitschrift für Celtische Philologie* 49-50.
440-454.<http://img14.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=40332_Scan10004_122_674lo.JPG>;

This thread: