From: "R. & G. Stevens" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] The Basques and Scholarship
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 20:26:52 -0500

From: "ellen Levy" <>
To: <>
Sent: Thursday, May 24, 2007 9:42 AM

> John:
>
> I think Rich might be refering to the fact that there
> doesn't seem to be even the smallest vestige of the
> older, supposedly wide-spread Vasconic language in any
> IE languages, particularly ones that developed into
> Spanish and French, where one would expect to see
> traces at least among place names, even with wholesale
> language replacement. We do see that with the IE
> languages - some frequency of retention of the older
> non-IE substrate language, sometimes up to to 30%,
> other times just remnants of place names. I should
> say, however, that I am not a linguistic, so am
> speaking as a complete layperson on the topic.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thank you, Ellen. That is a good answer and in fact what I had in mind.

Where the Romans managed to shift the native populations to a Romance
language, they did so using a fairly advanced political and military system.
Yet the native languages left their impress on the corrupted version of
Latin that took their places.

Who is supposed to have imposed the Indo-European languages on the wider
Vasconic population of Western Europe? How did they do it so effectively
that Vasconic left no traces in the languages that remained, not even in
place and river names?

Even in the New World, where language and cultural replacement were
accomplished with a massive influx of new genetic material, many places and
rivers retain the names the Amerindians gave them.

Rich

This thread: