From: Denis Savard <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Phoenicians arriving in N America long ago
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 19:23:37 -0400

>It is frustrating that after some early open-mindedness, geneticists who
>study Native Americans now generally _assume_ that any traces of European
>haplogroups are due to post-Columbian admixture.

The Viking sagas about New World from Iceland to Greenland and to
Canada in the 10th-11th century was at least in part confirmed with
the find of Norse settlements at L'Anse aux Meadows, thought by some
to be part of what the Sagas call Vineland.

There was also a sunken Norse ship found in the same area. I attended
a lecture by the archeologists who performed the dig, and documented
it before burrying it again.

Here's an interesting link on the Norse presence 1000-1400 in the
area, including Greenland, not very far from the continent...

Although their culture died out, I would be surprized that their
genes did as well...

This thread: