From: "Dora Smith" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Steppes R1b (was Gauls and Galacia in Turkey)
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2007 17:10:32 -0500

Ellen:

Has any European mtDNA been tested from before 8,000 BC? I'm not aware of
any such direct evidence that human genes actually existed in Europe longer
ago than Neolithic times.

I am actually wondering when the actual explosion in mtDNA haplogroup H
occurred. I'm not sure it was really right after the last ice age, even if
it did radiate initially from Spain. The Neolithic burial studies I'm
aware of find large quantities of haplogroups like one of the N clades that
are now rare in Europe. Disease or another adaptation could have given one
group that was mtDNA H and Y DNA R1b an advantage.

Yours,
Dora Smith
Austin, TX