From: "Ken Nordtvedt" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Why chromosomes ?
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2007 09:24:33 -0600

From: "Jim T" <>
To: <>
Sent: Sunday, October 07, 2007 8:55 AM

> From: "Ken Nordtvedt" <>
>> Yes the number seems arbitrary or accidental, but my
>> question was why chromosomes at all? Why not just one
>> big stretch of dna (X and Y left out of the discussion)
>>
>> Why the packaging of the dna into packets?
>
> The answer to that was in my previous post:
>
> "Extra copies of chromosomes are thought to enable evolution.

Well, maybe its an answer for you, but I mentioned in my first message that
it seems genes can make copies of themselves in different places of the
genome with or without the chromosome packaging, and we can imagine the
breaking of the genome into multiple segments and the crossing over and
reassembly to mix the two parental contributions with or without the
chromosome packaging.

The question again is: what does the packaging of the whole genome into
chromosome packages contribute to the successful functioning of the dna and
its evolution, if anything?

This thread: