From: "Ken Nordtvedt" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Why chromosomes ?
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2007 11:31:07 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: <>
To: <>
Sent: Sunday, October 07, 2007 11:23 AM

> In a message dated 10/6/2007 5:29:57 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
> writes:
>
>> Putting aside the X and Y chromosomes, I wonder why nature chose to
>> package
>> our remaining genetic material into 22 chromosomes? Why not just have it
>> has one long strand of our genes and so-called junk dna? It could still
>> fragment into many pieces, cross over, and recombine the fragments from
>> the two
>> parents each generation.
>
> I'm not 100% sure what you're getting at, but fragmenting into random
> pieces
> would make it hard to create eggs and sperm with exactly one copy of each
> gene. See Nancy Custer's website for an illustration of how chromosomes
> line up
> with each other:

Yes, I don't think my point came through, although I did go out of my way to
keep the process of segmentation of the dna, crossing over of segments
between the two parental dna contributions, and recombining two complete dna
collections. That's what goes on now within the chromosomes, so it could go
on if the dna was one big piece.

Ken

This thread: