From: "Eric Olson" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Why chromosomes ?
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 14:53:33 -0700

For heaven's sake,

Not everything in existence needs a scientific reason why.. And if you did
know why it probably would make no difference in your world view.

Why is standard gage for U. S. railroads 4' 8 1/2"? Because of Roman
chariots wheelbase widths?
Why do our clocks run clockwise today? There was a time when they ran just
as well counter-clockwise.
Why VCR and not Betamax? Both good systems. (Betamax is arguably a better
format).
Why does is the Gravitational Constant = 6.67300 10-11 m3 kg-1 s-2? (Or
does it always?)
Why do we give the electron a formal charge of negative? Because Benjamin
Franklin said so? (Damn you, Ben Franklin) Franklin had a 50/50 chance,
and we ended up with the often confusing situation that current flow and
particle flow are oppositely directed, that "up" on energy level diagrams
corresponds to more negative voltages, etc.
"Why Oh Why Did We Leave Ohio?"
Why not?

Eric :-)

SNIP