Subject: Re: [DNA] About Genebase and
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 18:45:39 EDT

In a message dated 10/24/2007 12:41:13 PM Pacific Daylight Time,

> Do make sure, though, that if you do business with Ancestry's genealogy
> project, it really is Ancestry, because Genebase carefully gave their
> project a very similar name that consists of the same words in a different
> order.

To be excruciatingly fair to GeneBase, you've got the sequence of events out
of order. Genebase was using long before began offering DNA tests this fall at I do
wonder if FTDNA acquired the domain as a reaction to's interest in DNA.

Personally, I think there's room for everyone in the field. Competition spurs
innovation and favorable pricing, and it's not as if the market is limited
with 6 billion people on the planet :) It's too bad that GeneBase has had such
customer support problems, especially at a point when any startup pains should
be diminishing. It really seems as if they want to go their own way: they
didn't respond to my e-mails many months ago about acting in a collaborative
manner regarding Y-STR nomenclature issues and so forth.

Ann Turner

See what's new at

This thread: