From: marianne dillow <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Checking on how to submit FTDNA results to Genbank?
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 21:51:46 -0800 (PST)

Dora,
I agree with Ron. Also Roberta Estes has already answered most of your questions on this matter as I saved her posting related to this.

Linda Jonas did a fantastic job for me. When I saw my FASTA on my personal page at FTDNA with all of my FGS including my control region results I was astounded as to the work Linda had put into doing this as a volunteer. Also, many people have spam filters.
I don't see why this a problem. I am glad there are volunteers as Linda and Ted and Ian who will volunteer to submit the results to GenBank for us. I NEVER could have done this on my own.

I don't understand the problem you are presenting, In fact I don't see a problem at all. We should all be glad that these people are helping us to advance the cause of DNA and thanks to Bennett Greenspan for doing us a favor for willing to help us do that.

Marianne Dillow

Ron Scott <> wrote:
On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 22:04:33 -0600, Dora writes:

> If Genbank told people that what tehy need from FTDNA is a backup contact person,
> then that has nothing to do with the identity of the submitter, nor that of the "author"
> (who may who contracted and paid for the testing and not who performed the testing, not
> to mention the matter of who owns my genetic code.)

GenBank is, I think, only concerned with the name of the submitter and contact information. If you really want to submit your FGS to GenBank, I suggest you follow the protocol as prescribed numerous times on this List, and suggest to Linda, Ted or Ian that you wish to be included as the "author," "submitter," or whatever you classify yourself, and leave the rest to that person. No one has been disappointed thus far, to my knowledge. You seem to be the only one who has a problem understanding this protocol.

Ron Scott

This thread: