From: "Ron Scott" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Checking on how to submit FTDNA results to GenBank?
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 08:50:14 -0600

On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 16:16:29 EST, Anne writes:

> As anyone who reads this list must know by now, I am an advocate of FGS.
> However, I would point out that contact with and exploration of the HVR1/2
> matches (since most of us have more of them than FGS matches) is THE primary
> motivator for getting them interested in DOING FGS! Many matches haven't even
> bothered to join mitogroup Projects.

I was not discouraging anyone from exploring HVR1-2 matches. My statement was predicated on whether one wanted a "more meaningful" match. I have 23 "low resolution" and four "high resolution" matches (excluding my mother), none of whom match on the FGS. But, the FGS match, a more meaningful one, fails (slightly) on the HVR2 results. So, the point is that a so-called "high resolution" match means very little to nothing in comparison to a FGS match.

Therefore, I suggest that FTDNA rename HVR1-2 matches as "lo-mid resolution" and FGS "high resolution."

Ron Scott

This thread: