Subject: Re: [DNA] R1b1c - DNA of the 7 Royal Tribes of Wales
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2008 20:21:16 EST

In a message dated 1/1/2008 2:49:45 P.M. Central Standard Time,
writes:

The pedigrees seem to indicate that 5 and 6 are from the same male line as
Coroticus who H.M. Chadwick makes ancestor of O'Melaghlin of Ireland. It is
believed this is often corrupted to McLaughlin. The ftdna McLaughlin project
does indeed list a few R1bSTR47 McLaughlins.

Can you give a few more details about this?

The O'Melaghlins (O Mailseachlainn) were the main chieftains of the southern
Ui Neill, centered in the midlands of Ireland. The surname has completely
disappeared in Ireland, replaced by the similar form, MacLoughlin. According
to the pedigrees, their ancestor was Conall cremthaine, son of Nial 'of the
Nine Hostages.' In Rawlinson B.502, the name is given as "Conall Err Breg nó
Cremthainne nó Cerrbél," or Conall err Breg OR Conall Cremthainne OR Cerrbel."

I've always thought this was a little strange since Nial had another son
named Conall (Conall gulban, ancestor of the O'Donnells, O'Dohertys, etc).

We're not finding a lot of verifiable southern Ui Neill DNA, although there
seems to be some. If the pedigrees are correct one might assume it should be
R1b1c7.

How does Chadwick connect the O'Melaghlins to Coroticus? There are plenty
of historians who doubt the validity of many of the alleged sons of Nial.

John