Subject: Re: [DNA] DNA and Genealogy Societies
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 15:13:39 EST

Dear Lyndsey,

Where is the "problem" and where is your pessimism coming from? If you can
use DNA results to support your traditional genealogy, why shouldn't you be
able to use it for a lineage society?

Avoid having tunnel-vision about it, DNA does NOT always need to be used for
the ancestor you are joining on. In the GSMD's first case, they used it to
corroborate the lineage of John Howland's granddaughter's husband.

Some lineage societies may be slow to accept this fairly new genealogical
tool, just as many were slow to accept computers. The others will eventually
follow the visionary societies and it will help them to increase their
membership.

Best regards,
Katherine

*******************

The real problem seems to be how to use it in conjunction with a lineage.

***********************

In most cases, it probably wouldn't help. Here's a case where it might have
worked, but I found what I think was a better approach.

************************

Nonsense! I don't have tunnel vision and I'm not opposed to the use of DNA
evidence. Bob Stafford said: "The real problem seems to be how to use it
[DNA testing] in conjunction with a lineage."

I agreed and replied that "In most cases, it probably wouldn't help. Here's
a case where it might have worked, but I found what I think was a better
approach."

Then I described my better approach, but I never said DNA evidence shouldn't
be accepted by lineage societies. In fact, I'm glad some societies are
beginning to accept it and hope more will, provided that it is used wisely.

Lindsey