Subject: Re: [DNA] Dr. Craig Ventner's BBC Speech (teaching DNA to kids)
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 01:16:02 EST

In a message dated 1/21/2008 11:58:52 P.M. Central Standard Time,
writes:

To play it safe, I would suggest that the schools
exclusively test for mtDNA because there is much
less likelihood of nonmaternity than nonpaternity.

Again, my idea was that genealogy could be one option and at least MENTIONED
as an area in which DNA has been applied. I'm certainly not in favor of kids
getting hurt, and a I think something could be devised which permits
alternatives for those who need them or want them. It's hard to imagine however,
teaching DNA at all without bringing in medical implications and the use of DNA
for donor matching and such. Of course, I suppose we could focus solely on
criminal applications (can't see THAT being good for the kids either).

I sometimes wonder too about cases in which the remains of some WWII or
Korean vet don't match a sibling of a lost serviceman if unknown adoptions aren't
behind some of that. Was not uncommon in the 30s and 40s for kids never to
be told they were adopted. Even later than that. I remember in my 50s
childhood when my grandmother and her friends were discussing someone's daughter
adopting a child -- and I knew the child -- and I was told "Don't ever mention
it. He doesn't know and his mother doesn't want him to know."

I certainly never intended my post to start a firestorm of controversy nor
to imply that I would want to damage families or children! By all accounts,
some families and kids have more than enough damage already!