From: "Janet Crawford" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Extinction Chances
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 10:42:45 -0000

There are some interesting periods when almost all of a tribe may have been
wiped out, i.e. the great plagues in Ireland, Wales and England in the
500's. Being tribal, I could well see a few closely related men restoring
the population in a village area. A great war could have had a similar
result. Similar situations may have occurred in later periods in rural
areas.

In Ireland, surnames actually began a little earlier than normally stated,
and I would put their use back into the 800's/early 900's, but I would agree
that surname development continued well into the 1600's/1700's in Ireland.
Actually I guess I want to clarify that even more. In the writings, a man
was specifically identified as "x mac y" far earlier than the 800's, and one
would have to assume that the same probably was done verbally.

In Ireland, there are odd things that can happen with surnames, and I would
use the Ryan's as an example. There were so many Ryans by 1700 that they had
to use nicknames to keep themselves straight, and often a Ryan would drop
"Ryan" and begin to use his nickname as his surname; thus Thomas Ryan-Maher
could decide to become Thomas Maher to distinguish himself in the
neighborhood where there might be several Thomas Ryan's, and his descendents
would continue to use Maher as a surname. I have also seen family feuds
where a man would stop using his own family's surname and adopt another
instead. One also has to be careful, very careful, in assuming that Ryan in
one place is the same as Ryan in another. The Ryans of Leinster are a
completely different family from the Ryan's of Munster, with entirely
different ancestors; here the DNA results are going to be invaluable.

There is one other cultural issue as evidenced in the ancient Irish stories,
wherein a great warrior would be besieged by women coming from all parts of
Ireland to have his child, thereby spreading his DNA to many parts of the
country and who knows what eventual surnames. The warrior's status would
have allowed him the opportunity to have many children who would probably
not even be supported by him.

Finally, before the mid-1800's in Ireland, it is not unusual to find men
begetting many children. My Great-great-grandfather, "James the Stud", a
farmer, managed to father 21 children - 10 legitimate and eleven
illegitimate, by 5 women. His grandfather was another begetter, and we have
no idea of the number of children he fathered as the parish records run out;
I can account for 5 leg. and 5 illeg. by 3 women. Most carried the father's
surnames through life but a few did not. My family's male behavior, I can
assure you, was NOT uncommon. Illegitimacy was rampant before 1850.

I still don't understand anything much about the science of DNA, but you all
are the closest thing I have to a time machine I can find, and I am quite
fascinated. I hope no one minds my jumping in from time to time.

Janet C.