From: Beth Long <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Extinction Chances
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 03:11:10 -0800 (PST)

--- Janet Crawford <> wrote:

My family's male behavior, I can assure you, was NOT
uncommon. Illegitimacy was rampant before 1850.

Hi Janet,

In the area I am studying (Hungarian Roman Catholics
of Bukovina), this was definitely not the case. We
have church records from the early 1780s, and they are
quite specific as to whether a child was legitimate or
illegitimate. Births recorded as illegitimate were
less than about 5% of the total.

Unfortunately, in cases of illegitimacy, the natural
father was not named (that guy named "pater ignotus"
really got around :-)). So it is unknown whether the
fathers of these children were married to someone
else, single, the village priest,traveling salesman,
or whatever.

We now have over 100 people in our project, and have
tested some people in Transylvania (where the Bukovina
people originated). In most, but not all cases, the
men of the same surname have matching DNA, giving some
support to my thinking that most fathers of record
were indeed the biological fathers.

I'm sure there are differences between cultures in
this regrard, but I can only comment on my own
findings.

Beth Long
Hungaroan Bukovina Project

Looking for last minute shopping deals?