From: "Alister John Marsh" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] You Can Now Retrive Your SMGF Results at GeneTreeandUnlockYour Pedigree If...
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 16:09:28 +1300

Tim,

You said...

This is interesting. I guess that Genetree is trying to entice SMGF
contributors to pay for the results so that the contributors don't need to
go through the trouble of personally extracting them from the SMGF
databases. This may be attractive to some people who either don't know how
to extract their results from the SMGF databases or don't want to take the
time to do so. I wonder how long this offer will remain in place. I
particularly wonder if it will remain in place until whatever point in time
the SMGF releases its autosomal and X chromosome databases.
Sincerely,
Tim Janzen
<<<<<<<

I asked GeneTree if Y-DNA & autosomal etc would also be unlocked. For the
present it seems only mtDNA will be unlocked, but "I presume" that the rest
would follow, particularly Y-DNA when GeneTree add Y-DNA to their database.
(((They said... "Currently, we only provide the mtDNA testing (mitochondrial
DNA), so those are the only results that will be transferred for the time
being.))

It has occurred to me that many contributors to the SMGF project have opted
to have their results kept private, and their pedigrees are not shown linked
to results on the SMGF database. Further, for a few people their pedigrees
may not have any persons designated as born before 1900 on their submitted
tree, particularly if this applied to the Y-DNA or mtDNA line. For these
two groups of people, paying a nominal fee to have their results unlocked
might be a real benefit.

I have a few of my surname who submitted DNA samples to SMGF in the early
days, and they have not appeared on the database. I wondered if they might
have inadvertently ticked a privacy box on a form, and not had their
pedigrees displayed on the database, preventing their results from being
findable.

Just wondering.... if a person's results are not yet showing on the SMGF
database, would the unlocking fee be a way to get a fix on where the results
are at? It might reveal whether the sample was bad, and they gave up
testing, or it might prompt some overdue results to appear. Or it might
reveal that they had inadvertently ticked a privacy box on a form without
realizing it.

Another point, I know of a family where a number of brothers tested in the
SMGF project. Each has some different Y-DNA mutations, and one has some
areas of mtDNA not reported, but because the brothers have the same
pedigree, it is not possible to tell from the results which is which
brother. When their pedigrees were submitted, subtle differences (not
errors) were put on the pedigree forms, some giving more complete
information. However, it looks like SMGF have used the same hybrid pedigree
for all the brothers, which unfortunately prevents the identity of
individuals being discovered. Paying to unlock results would clarify which
result belongs to which brother.

There might be situations where paying to unlock SMGF results is worth the
nominal cost.

John.

Checked by AVG.
1:41 PM