From: "Tim Janzen" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] You Can Now Retrive Your SMGF Results atGeneTreeandUnlockYour Pedigree If...
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 01:01:34 -0700

Dear John,
You raise some good points and I don't know that there are easy
answers to them all. I strongly suspect that paying for the results from
Genetree won't speed the testing of particular samples at the SMGF since the
SMGF seems to do all of its testing in large batches rather than
individually. It seems clear that 2006-2008 will go down as the years where
the SMGF concentrated on catching up on the mtDNA testing for their samples.
It appears to me that they aren't producing new Y results as fast as they
used to be. I have also found some men in the Mennonite project whose mtDNA
results appear in the SMGF databases, but there aren't any Y results yet in
the databases. Thus, the focus on mtDNA in the past year seems to be
slowing the release of Y data. I think that you are correct that Genetree
will eventually have access to all of the Y data and probably in the long
term the X chromosome and autosomal data as well.
I think that there are still quite a few people who gave samples two
or more years ago whose data doesn't appear in the SMGF databases. In some
cases it may have been because the sample didn't have enough DNA in it for
testing, but I think that in the majority of cases it simply has to do with
the fact that the SMGF simply hasn't tested the samples yet. I think that
this predominantly applies to women, whose only results up to this point are
mtDNA results. I suspect that there are at least partial Y results in the
SMGF for almost all males who gave samples prior to 2005. There are still
quite a few male Mennonites who gave samples in 2006 whose Y results don't
yet appear in the SMGF databases.
There are no privacy boxes on the SMGF consent forms, so I don't
think that a person's pedigree and/or results won't appear in the SMGF
databases solely because of this. You are probably right that for the few
people whose their pedigrees don't not have any persons designated as born
before 1907 on their submitted tree on either their maternal or paternal
lineages, paying a nominal fee to have their results unlocked might be a
real benefit.
Otherwise, I can't think of any common situations where paying the Genetree
fee to unlock the mtDNA results is worth it for the skilled genetic
genealogist. It is very easy to extract mtDNA results from the database.
However, it can be tricky for some people and the fact that the SMGF is now
releasing incomplete mtDNA data in the mtDNA database can be particularly
tricky as has been noted in discussions a number of months ago on this list.
As you mentioned there might be situations where paying for Y results would
be worth it, assuming that Genetree eventually is given access to the Y
results.
The SMGF genealogists try to merge all duplicate ancestors in their
genealogy database, so sending pedigree charts that have subtle differences
in them for the same ancestors with the goal of using these differences to
differentiate between people's results will probably not be an effective
strategy in the long run in most cases.
I think that you could be right that if a person's results are not
yet showing on the SMGF mtDNA database, paying the unlocking fee is a way to
get a fix on where the results are at. If my dad's results don't appear in
the SMGF databases in the near future, I may consider doing this for him.
He sent his sample in during Feb. 2006. I suspect that at the rate the SMGF
is processing samples that almost all of the people who ordered a kit before
Oct. 22, 2007 and who returned the kit by Dec. 31 will have mtDNA results in
the SMGF database within the next year or so.
Sincerely,
Tim